This article details the particulars of Emsi NAICS codes, outlining where they differ from standard NAICS and why.
All Emsi dataruns back to 2017.4 use the 2017 NAICS classification. Users noticing differences from expected NAICS codes can check this blog post to see what NAICS to use under the 2017 classification.
Emsi NAICS Particularities
No real-world public data source uses purely “standard” NAICS, including Emsi. Emsi differs from standard NAICS codes in the following:
- Emsi combines all industry data under 111 (Crop Production) and 112 (Animal Production) into single detailed codes: 111000 and 112000, respectively. This is due to the general lack of detailed and complete agricultural employment data present in QCEW, Emsi’s primary source of industry data. Roughly 75% of data points for the agricultural NAICS for sub-national geographies are suppressed. Users looking for more detailed data for these industries are encouraged to check QCEW, as more data may be available for their region.
- Emsi uses a single code, 482110 (Rail Transportation), as an aggregate of NAICS 482111 and 482112. The BLS does not provide information for these NAICS; Emsi gathers this data from the Railroad Retirement Board, which uses NAICS 482110.
- In Emsi data, 491110 (Postal Service) represents private-sector United States Postal Service (USPS) contractors only. Actual USPS establishments are found in Emsi code 901149.
- Emsi does not have data for 541120 (Offices of Notaries), because the BLS does not report any data for that category.
- Emsi creates a separate hierarchy for public-sector establishments under code 90 (Government), as explained below.
QCEW data includes an ownership flag that indicates ownership by private firm, or federal, state, or local government. Establishments with each ownership type can be found throughout most NAICS in the hierarchy (e.g. state-run sewage treatment facilities found in standard NAICS 221320, alongside privately-owned facilities). Following the conventions of Current Employment Statistics (CES), Occupational Employment Statistics (OES), and BEA data sources, Emsi re-classifies all government-run establishments into the appropriate Government NAICS:
- 90: Government
- 901: Federal Government
- 9011: Federal Government, Civilian
- 90114: US Postal Service
- 901149: US Postal Service
- 90119: Federal Government, Civilian, excluding Postal Service
- 901199: Federal Government, Civilian, excluding Postal Service
- 9012: Federal Government, Military
- 90120: Federal Government, Military
- 901200: Federal Government, Military
- 902: State Government
- 9026: Education and Hospitals (State Government)
- 90261: Education (State Government)
- 902611: Elementary and Secondary Schools (State Government)
- 902612: Colleges, Universities, and Professional Schools (State Government)
- 902619: All Other Schools and Educational Support Services (State Government)
- 90262: Hospitals (State Government)/li>
- 902622: Hospitals (State Government)
- 9029: State Government, excluding Education and Hospitals
- 90299: State Government, excluding Education and Hospitals
- 902999: State Government, excluding Education and Hospitals
- 903: Local Government
- 9036: Education and Hospitals (Local Government)
- 90361: Education (Local Government)
- 903611: Elementary and Secondary Schools (Local Government)
- 903612: Colleges, Universities, and Professional Schools (Local Government)
- 903619: All Other Schools and Educational Support Services (Local Government)
- 90362: Hospitals (Local Government)/li>
- 903622: Hospitals (Local Government)
- 9039: Local Government, excluding Education and Hospitals
- 90399: Local Government, excluding Education and Hospitals
- 903999: Local Government, excluding Education and Hospitals
Under this hierarchy, the state-run sewage treatment plant would be found in NAICS 902999, “State Government, excluding Education and Hospitals.” Similarly, federal-government-run establishments in the “Courts” industry (NAICS 922110 in the standard classification) would be classified in NAICS 901199, “Federal Government, Civilian” in the Emsi hierarchy. Again, a local Community College, classified in NAICS 611210 in standard NAICS, would be found in NAICS 903612, “Colleges, Universities, and Professional Schools (Local Government)”.
Therefore, in Emsi data, all establishments in the main NAICS hierarchy (all sectors other than 90) are privately owned only, including 611 (Educational Services) and 62 (Health Care and Social Assistance). Additionally, all establishments in NAICS 92 are reclassified under NAICS 90 (broken out above).
Because Emsi utilizes other datasets (CES, BEA sources, OES) that use the above Government NAICS hierarchy, Emsi follows the same convention.